Corn-free / Dairy-free / Egg-free / Nut-free / OAS safe / Peanut-free / Sesame-free / Soy-freeJump to Recipe
As I am aware that not everyone is allergic to the BIG 8 allergens, here is a pancake recipe that is NOT gluten-free. These fluffy vegan pancakes with their apple rhubarb topping are however free of all other common allergens. And if you are gluten-free, you can always make these TOP 8-free gluten-free pancakes and still safely add this topping.
If you suffer from oral allergy syndrome, this recipe is also safe for you. The apples and the rhubarb stalks are fully cooked. I am highly (deadly) allergic to uncooked apples and haven’t had any issue with this recipe. If you are worried about having any reaction, just let the the apples and the rhubarb cook an extra 5 minutes. It won’t affect the taste. However, your topping won’t be as chunky.
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF THESE FLUFFY VEGAN PANCAKES
First of all, rhubarb and apples are delicious and will bring that sweet and sour complement to your dish. In addition, together they will provide your body with good amounts of antioxidants, dietary fiber, calcium, potassium, as well as vitamins K and C. And bonus: this topping is low in calories!!
So this is good to improve your brain and digestive functions, maintain a healthy weight and healthy levels of cholesterol.
As for the pancakes themselves… Generally speaking, pancakes are not healthy per se, but these fluffy vegan pancakes are healthier and lighter than your regular traditional pancakes.
A FEW TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
We usually only serve 2 pancakes per person at brunch, as we like to eat them alongside smoothies, coffee, fresh fruit, breakfast potatoes and/or tofu scramble. So 2 are usually more than enough. However, when we just want pancakes, depending on our appetite, we eat 3 to 4 per person.
If you want to save time, you can prepare the topping the day before and just heat it up before serving your pancakes. It works just fine in the microwave.
If you run out of pancakes and still have some apple rhubarb topping, you can actually add it to your morning smoothie. It is delicious!
Fluffy Vegan Pancakes with Apple Rhubarb Topping
For the pancakes
- 1 cup flour whole wheat
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup milk non-dairy
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the topping
- 2 apples
- 6 stalks rhubarb
- 2 tbsp agave nectar up to 2.5 tbsp
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
For the pancakes
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium-size bowl.
- Gradually mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir until the batter looks smooth and there are no clumps.
- Let the batter rest for 10 minutes before cooking. (Meanwhile you can start prepare the topping).
- Heat a flat non-stick pan over medium heat.
- When the pan is hot, pour some batter on it, forming 3 or 4 pancakes depending on the size of your pan.
- Let your pancakes cook for a few minutes until a large amount of air bubbles form on top.
- Use a spatula to flip the pancakes and let them cook for another minute.
For the topping
- Peel the apples and roughly chopped them into cubes.
- Wash the rhubarb stalks and cut them into thick slices.
- Place the apples and rhubarb in a medium pot.
- Add the lemon juice and the agave syrup to the pot, and use a wooden spoon to mix well.
- Cover and cook on low to medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent your compote from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- The slices of rhubarb should dissolve into a fibrous sauce, and the cubes of apple should soften.
- If the compote is too sour for you, add another 1/2 tbsp of agave syrup and blend it in well.
Putting it all together
- When everything is ready, divide the pancakes into as many plates as you have guests, and top each little stack with a generous amount of the apple rhubarb compote you just made.
Bon appétit !